Ken Ashcorp - Touch Fluffy Tail
A song about a boy with a duty to fulfill.
This is an awesome song - you should listen to it.
The march rally call says; “Let’s remember gay hero Harvey Milk!”
We say; “Harvey Milk was no hero. He was a straight-pandering Republican, responsible for the gentrification of the Castro and the criminalization of trans sex workers in San Francisco.
If you’re going to celebrate the so-called “revolutionaries” of electoral politics, rather than actual revolutionaries like Sylvia Rivera, Marsha P. Johnson, and Jim Fouratt; it is questionable why you’d pick a white, straight-acting Republican like Harvey Milk.
Why pick someone someone who embodies the “Just Like You!” attitude of the straight establishment; when there are candidates like Jose Sarria, an openly gay gender variant person of color who actively campaigned against police brutality and gentrification, who even ran for the very same office (S.F. Board of Supervisors) a decade before Milk in 1961?
If this rally is for a revolution of social liberation, why did people simply pick-and-choose to celebrate queer history that best fits in with Hollywood’s film screening schedules? (Did anyone even know who Harvey Milk was before the movie came out in 2008?)
let’s do a little bit of fact-checking - sourced from randy shilts’ “the mayor of castro street:”
1. “republican” - harvey milk was only a republican while he was closeted and working a 9 to 5 job in new york’s financial district prior to his coming out and moving to san fransisco. during his political career, he constantly and consistently railed against the right and against social and economic conservative interests.
2. “straight-pandering” - harvey was anything but. harvey milk’s political career was predicated upon his opposition to the straight-pandering activities of the wealthy, well-established homosexual and democratic party establishment. many of harvey’s contemporaries, wealthy homosexual men like david goodstein and rick stokes, sought to endear wealthy liberals to their cause and used their clout to support straight candidates. harvey was of the gay community and for the gay community; the straight-pandering liberal establishment openly despised him.
3. “responsible for the gentrification of the castro” - oh, undoubtedly, harvey was highly influential in revitalizing the economy of his neighbourhood and turning it into a destination spot and a safe haven for the gay community. but there were other forces at work in 1970s san fransisco - namely, the pro-business economic policies of politicians like dianne feinstein and george moscone. harvey unequivocally supported neighbourhood businesses and the economic interests of the poor.
4. “responsible for the criminalization of trans sex workers in san fransisco” - this is totally untrue. harvey was a supporter of sex workers’ rights and trans+ rights and worked actively to defend both groups.
5. “white” - yes, harvey milk was white, but a quick look through his speeches reveals that he often spent more time talking about race issues than gay issues. he called for the closure of the united states’ embassy in south africa. he lobbied fiercely against legislation that would have reduced the wages of POC city employees. POC san fransiscans had an ally in harvey milk, and his closest friends and political allies - ever heard of michael wong? - were people of colour.
6. “straight-acting” - i literally just laughed out loud in WHAT universe was harvey milk straight-acting oh my fucking god - he was openly, publicly, and vocally gay, he had relationships with men, he marched to his swearing-in with his arm over his boyfriend’s shoulder. straight-acting???? what?????????????
7. jose sarria was a fucking hero. acknowledging harvey milk’s contributions to the gay community does not negate the incredible work that sarria did in san fransisco’s queer community, doesn’t negate his advocacy against police brutality, doesn’t negate his courageous run for office. the reason there’s a movie about milk and not sarria is that sarria only ran for public office once before leaving organized political life; milk ran four times, got elected, enacted massive gay rights reform, and was assassinated for his efforts.
8. by the way, jose sarria endorsed harvey milk. they were friends and political allies.
9. “did anyone even know who harvey milk was before 2008?” - um, try the entire population of san fransisco? most of california? most of the united states when dan white’s trial blew up in the national media? try president carter, who publicly endorsed milk’s causes and personally corresponded with him? are you aware that “the times of harvey milk,” a documentary film about milk’s life, won the 1984 academy award for best documentary feature? yeah, people knew who harvey milk was before 2008.
do you even know who harvey milk was?
because it sure as fuck doesn’t sound like it.
In this person’s universe “straight acting” means that he didn’t go to his swearing in wearing a rainbow sequin dress.
“Milk” is the movie which made me come out of the closet.
(I didn’t know who he was before then but that is because I am British. My gay heroes were Alan Turing and Freddie Mercury…and Richard O’Brien.)
Running Man Version of Heroes
(got this from http://runningman.sbs.co.kr i don’t understand Hangul / Korean so i don’t know whom to credit, but this is DAEBAK!!)
The first two (U.ruce Willis and SPARTA Kook.) have been running nick names since the teen episodes. They are my two favourite hosts of Running Man, because they are both the “Leaders” usually, Kook is one of the strongest contestents but it is good when he gets taken down by someone else.
Woman I work with was going through her boyfriend’s phone once and found a woman’s name! Omg! So she did what anyone would do (no) and rang her and starting up “he’s my boyfriend what are you doing” eventually it turned out she was his sister.
These people live in a world where the only reason they don’t cheat is not having a chance not to get caught, and the only reason their partner doesn’t cheat is because they go through their stuff on as regular basis.
I couldn’t even speak, the world they live in is a different galaxy to mine.
My dad’s mistress was under the name “Richards” my mum was on the other side of the country when the divorce was being planned and made me go through his phone.
I still feel guilty for doing that even if it revealed that he was cheating.
Robert Downey Jr. (April, 2013)
I so want this to be true and about me. Famiss!
You know if he actually knew about it - I bet he would hate the things on sexconfessions more than your stupid comments.
(Remove some of the older comments.)
A jar of dried parsley, a fridge and Dean Whinchester…
Do animals count? If so, a Chihuahua cross, a pug cross and one of the Top Gear presenters. If animals don’t count, then it’d be a cushion and a tv remote. Either way it’s not helpful.
So - a duster is my primary weapon and my secondary is a screwdriver. But all of this does not matter because my only surviving friend is Hannibal Lecter. Well that rules out being turned into a zombie but I am still going to get eaten.
I’m Hispanic and can attest to the powers of Hispanic mothers and sandals
I Always love the “Sam Rami” shots. Usually I only see them in Loading Ready Run’s X ways to Y series. (Linked is the complete list of X ways to Y which includes the meta “Ways to X2Y”.